Page 1 of 22 Results 1 - 10 of 220

 Subject  Date  Description
Acomb 14 April 1875 Men and boys lost their jobs after a fire destroyed Acomb colliery. It was believed that the fire started at around 3am due to a burning seam of coal. Cf. 20/04/1875. The fire was finally put out after burning underground for several weeks. Cf. 19/05/1875.
Acomb 19 October 1876 An inquest at the Bay Horse in Wall Village into the death of a 21-year-old miner heard that he was overcome by foul air after venturing into the shaft of Wall Colliery.
Acomb 15 June 1876 A picnic and sports, largely attended, was held at Acomb, music being supplied by the Acomb band. The object was to raise funds for the restoration of an old well to supply the west part of the village with water.
Acomb 08 February 1878 Death of James Morrison, one of the largest coal owners in the north of England, being the respected owner of Acomb Colliery, amongst others.
Acomb 24 December 1879 20 tonnes of coal from Acomb Colliery were distributed among 50 poor people in Hexham, the gift of J. Oswald Head, Esq. of Hackwood.
Acomb 20 November 1884 Hewers at Acomb Colliery drew lots to decide which 20 would lose their jobs. The cutbacks were imposed because of flooding in the underground sections of the mine.
Acomb 21 March 1891 The first annual meeting of Acomb Reading Institute took place on Monday 16th March.
Acomb 14 July 1900 A new colliery was about to be sunk near Acomb village. Boring operations had shown that there was a good seam of coal.
Acomb 12 January 1901 A seam of coal 2 feet 11 inches thick was found by Mr. T. Wood at a depth of 27 fathoms.
Acomb 16 February 1901 A new pit was opened at Acomb, with a 3 feet seam of excellent coal, which was selling at 4d, 6d and 8d a hundredweight.

Page 1 of 22 Results 1 - 10 of 220