Page 1 of 11 Results 1 - 10 of 104

 Subject  Date  Description
Wall 22 February 1877 A fatal mining accident occurred at Craig Pit near Wall Village when a miner was buried under falling stone. It was the second such accident in the space of a few months.
Wall 10 June 1880 The annual Wall picnic and sports took place. The event was held in a field next to the village and money raised went towards funding the Wall Library and Reading Room.
Wall 31 March 1881 A Courant correspondent was concerned about the condition of properties in Wall, where many thatched cottages were decaying and some were unroofed. It was reported that the village looked like a settlement from the Middle Ages rather than the q9th century.
Wall 10 March 1903 A concert was given to celebrate the opening of the new library and reading room, the gift of Mrs. Clayton of the Chesters.
Wall 03 February 1906 A new colliery was opened in Wall by Messrs. Walton & Cowper. The company had a long association with the Fallowfield lead mines. The new enterprise would provide local employment and a handy coal depot for the North Tyne.
Wall 23 November 1907 Mrs. Purvis successfully applied for the temporary transfer of the Smith?s Arms, Wall, from her late husband.
Wall 25 October 1919 Unveiling of the Wall War Memorial by Colonel Riddell.
Wall 30 November 1926 A coach house and stables in Wall were converted into a village hall with two anterooms and a kitchen, catering for 200 people.
Wall 23 April 1932 Death of Alfred Thompson aged 70 at the Hadrian Hotel, Wall. He was head waiter at the Station Hotel, Newcastle, for 35 years, and licensee of the George Hotel, Chollerford, from 1923-1931. He took over the Hadrian in May 1931 and during his occupation made extensive alterations. He died on Monday 18th April 1932, the husband of Alice Mary Thompson.
Wall 15 June 1991 The Wall, Humsaugh and District Leek and Flower Show was forced to fold after 47 years due to lack of membership.

Page 1 of 11 Results 1 - 10 of 104