Page 308 of 312 Results 3071 - 3080 of 3112

 Subject  Date  Description
Wark 22 October 1971 The demolition of Beaufort House ?a very graceful and beautiful little house? to allow road widening at a dangerous corner. It had been purchased by the Council in March 1956.
Wark 25 August 1972 The new Wark sports pavilion was nearing completion replacing the 50-year-old building.
Wark 28 August 1973 The Chipchase Arms Hotel was sold at auction for ?25,350, with the new owners planning to turn it into a country house. Compare 28/05/1982.
Wark 14 September 1973 A preservation order was sought for Wark Bridge.
Wark 09 October 1973 A water pump outside the old doctor?s house at Wark was dismantled after the house was demolished to make way for road improvements. Last used 60 years ago, it was the village?s last water pump.
Wark 01 January 1998 (1988 Date unspecified) Stonehaugh Post Office, which had served the village for over 30 years, was closed by owner Terry Metcalf.
Wark 06 June 1978 A dispute arose over the age of the Iron Bridge between Bellingham and Chollerford on its supposed 100th birthday.
Wark 26 September 1978 One of the biggest snakes ever found in the North-East was discovered by a North Tyne farmer near Wark. The dead grass snake measured 31.5 inches and was taken to the Hancock Museum.
Wark 07 April 1981 Work was nearing completion on the new ?200,000 Houxty Bridge on the main North Tyne road, just north of Wark, after the old bridge was declared unsafe.
Wark 28 May 1982 Mrs. Joan White was the last licensee of the former Chipchase Arms. She took the public house over from Mr. Vic Jackson in 1973 and gave it up two years later, after which it became a private house.

Page 308 of 312 Results 3071 - 3080 of 3112